Monday 8 December 2014

Design development

This is the scanned in drawing without any rendering, however the live trace tool on illustrator has been used to achieve a more prominent stroke. This does not have the desired effect that intended, it needs to be developed much further to give me the final angular shape that is needed. 



In order to do this I will use the pen tool on illustrator to draw the shape over my original hand rendered version. To keep the design symmetrical the best option would be to complete half of the design, then flip it to keep each shape in line with the opposing side. The screen shot below shows en example of this, however where the anchor points join in certain places, it does not give me a clean line as the anchor points extend too far to create these sharp points shown on the image. If the size of the stroke is changed, this may prevent this happening when joining the anchor points. 


This design shows a much cleaner and refined version as the anchor points meet perfectly and there are no sharp edges extending further than they should. The stroke size used is 1pt. however, depending on how the shapes will be filled either with colour or left alone, a thinner stroke may also work. 


Half of the design completed, then duplicated and mirrored on the other side. The stroke size is still slightly too big, and the centre line needs to be removed. 


This version is fully refined and the centre line has been removed, I am pleased with the final vector and can now being creating the wallpaper design. 


I started playing around with some repeat ideas that I could possibly use, neither of these two work, as it was just to get an idea of placement with the cat.



Undecided on colour or how I would fill the individual shapes, I just played around with using the fill tool so that each shape was a separate block colour, this could work nicely when used as a repeat design. 
Two examples I created using block colours for the shapes, I don't think they create much impact and they appear to be rather childish. However I do like the monochromatic tones of the bottom one shown, but I don't think the block colours inside each individual shape work. 


The monochromatic tones work nicely, but to make it slightly more interesting to be used as a wallpaper 






Testing the repeat


 Final design




No comments:

Post a Comment