Tuesday 2 December 2014

Idea development

Initial ideas:
From my research, I know I want to create a geometric image to be used for my repeat. With some of the artists I have looked at, animals influence their work and I want to take this idea on board, I started sketching out some shapes on my gridded paper, which started to resemble something that looked like a cats head, and I quite liked this idea, of creating a repeat for wallpaper that is slightly different with a quirky element which will appeal to the specific target audience. 

From this, I want to create a drawing using the centre line so that my drawing will be symmetrical. I think that geometric shapes could create something nice to be repeated as a wallpaper.

This is the first outline of my geometric cat head, I studied an image of a cat and tried to represent the features onto the squared paper, which gave me a cat made up of angular shapes. It was much easier drawing something like this out on squared paper as I know that I can create a perfect line of symmetry. 
From this sketch, once I was happy with the lines and balance, I then traced over it more accurately on some tracing paper so I could create a finalised drawing to scan in and use on illustrator. 

This shows the more refined line drawing that I will use to scan in and manipulate. I have altered the shape of the face slightly, which is the only change I have made to the line drawing. I will draw over this using the pen tool on illustrator to create a clean digital version of the drawing. 


Development:
This shows my original drawing then using the live trace roll on illustrator. I am pleased how the shape will look, however certain points where the lines join are not clean enough, I feel it would work better if I was to create a vector of this using the pen tool. This would give me a much cleaner finish, as the design must be symmetrical also, this would be the best way to create the shape as I can do half of the cat then duplicate and repeat it. 


 Using a ruler in the centre its easier to mark off where I need to work from. For this I used the original drawing as a guide.







No comments:

Post a Comment