Friday 7 February 2014

OUGD406 (Studio Brief 1) Work for interim crit

From my research, I decided to take further these ideas from the previous thumbnail sketches. From thorough research into lordes video that accompanies the track, the theme of youth was very significant. For one of my themes, I chose to use my photographs of the graffiti walls, as this is also present in lordes video. However this design seems to literal, but I wanted to emphasise the theme of childhood and youth within my initial designs. To take to the crit, I have produced some mock ups, I edited the existing photographs on photshop, and I also wanted to try a hand rendered style therefore I chose to draw some graffiti then digitally manipulate by duplicating the sketch on photoshop. I feel that these emphasise the idea of youth and teens, which has developed from my research, however enabling these designs to be successful they need to include more atmosphere (within the photographs). The photographs and sketch when standing alone, need to be developed a lot further if I wanted them to successfully relate to lordes track, but I do feel that the basis of the idea could work well if developed. 

For this design, I drew a graffiti style sketch, then duplicated and played around with the opacities on photoshop. I wanted to play around with a more hand rendered design, as this is how I want to initially produce my final design.



This mock up is a combination of two different photographs layered on photoshop, with different opacities. I wanted to create something that reminded me of Leif Podhasky, as the mix of vibrant colours show relation to this designers work. If I was to produce my final design with this concept and using my own photography, I would need to take into consideration the compositional features and colours in order to create a record sleeve that successfully represents Lordes track. 

This design is inspired by a more illustrative style, these are only a rough idea of what could be produced, but it shows an example of the style of illustration. By taking a more illustrative route, it will enable me to be more creative within the design, as I could include different layers and textures to create a more of a mixed media piece. The design will have to be finalised digitally in order for me to submit online, but the idea of creating a more texturised piece then editing it digitally could be something to experiment with. After looking at designers and artists that used embroidery with their illustrations, such as Marloes Duyker, it gave me the idea to create my own interpretation in this way. To develop this idea I will research further into other designers that use this technique within their work.

Interim Crit

I took these five designs above to the crit to collect some feedback on my ideas. For the crit we were asked to present five developed designs that we will take forward to create our final sleeve design. However at this point I was still unsure whether I wanted to create a design that was illustration based, or photographic based. The feedback I received from the crit was very helpful, as it has helped me decide which definite route to take. I noted down on my work during the crit that I would like to experiment with the use of embroidery and combine this quality with my illustrations so that my peers would get a better sense of how my designs would take shape. Some of the feedback I received;
  • the stitch idea seemed to very popular and said to be the strongest
  • I could try to incorporate the embroidery idea into the photographs of the graffiti to combine the two designs
  • combine two elements within one design, stitched illustrations and none stitched illustrations 
  • the embroidery idea definitely works better than the use of photography
  • drawings must be developed in order to improve the overall design

No comments:

Post a Comment