Thursday 26 March 2015

OUGD503: Module evaluation

Overall I have enjoyed this as a module as a whole, however I feel that I have slightly let myself down on the analysis side of things. I have enjoyed producing a wide body of work that I haven't really considered doing before, such as branding for other creatives and competition briefs. The module has opened my eyes in respect of the mass of work that can be produced if you really explore with both concept and design developments when experimenting with different processes, and when you choose your own briefs it is much more enjoyable and does not appear as a 'task.' I have learnt that timekeeping, planning and self organisation is crucial, because the module has been ongoing for several months, I have realised that experimentation and development never ends, as there are always certain ways you can add to and improve your work, a project in my eyes will never be finished. From my experience completing this module, I wish I had of planned my time more effectively, as looking back it seems I have applied more understanding and development to some smaller briefs rather than the larger ones which needed more focus. With the module occurring over a longer period of time than usual, I felt that I was rather lazy with my work ethic as I thought there was more time than there actually was, I don't feel that I have excelled in this module and once again I am slightly disappointed with the overall submission. 

Blogging was one of the things I feel has let me down as I didn't keep on top of the blogging, distracted by other modules ongoing at the time, to improve this I need to make sure that I can determine myself to write a couple of blog entries daily rather than weekly, my blog should be able to show exploration of my ideas and design process from the initial stages right through to the more refined stages, including problems and issues occurring along the way. This is something I will definitely focus on for the further modules in the future, I also need to improve on my critical, analysing skills significantly as I feel this is what lets me down severely. In order to improve this, I need to set aside some designated time at the end of the day to blog about what I have done, as most of the time I feel like I keep everything stored in my head or noted down, but leave compiling my blog until last minute, which never works out well. 

When working on each individual brief, I did enjoy the freedom of choosing briefs we wanted and because the briefs were so open, I enjoyed experimenting with different processes than I usually do. For the collaborative brief, my partner who studies on the printed textiles course, chose the D&AD brief 'Wetransfer' and I really enjoyed working with her on this brief. Working with Katy allowed me to explore different design processes, which included screen printing. I know the basis of screen print, but working with Katy we managed to produce a more technical and intricate three layered print, which worked well. We were both pleased with the overall print, working with Katy has developed my skills within the print area, as I was used to creating the standard two colour prints. We also experimented with foiling, on to our print which brought in Katy's textile qualities that she has to offer, I really enjoyed this brief as it allowed me to get more creative and hands on, rather than just designing on screen. The range of briefs that I chose to work on required various skills and processes, allowing me to produce a broad range of designs ranging from digitally produced publications, screen prints, promotion material, wallpaper designs etc. Within this module I feel that I have shown a good variation when it comes to design methods and productions, however I don't feel that the strength of my developmental stages are present. The workload feels slightly rushed, and I have not produced it to a high enough standard. 

I have enjoyed producing several briefs that are all very different, and I feel that I have gained knowledge from the module that I want to build on, but the main improvement to focus on is my analysis and understand of design decisions. 

No comments:

Post a Comment