Thursday 20 November 2014

Feathr

Brief:
Make wallpaper into art. We want you to lift wallpaper out of the decoration ghetto and turn it into art. Decoration matches the carpet. Art inspires love.
We want your fresh and original take on wallpaper. 

Target audience
Stylish young homeowners that want something unique on their walls, they want something they can love and talk about. 

Design specs and tips
Create an artwork that can be used as a repeating design for a 53cm x 10m wallpaper roll.
The roll width is 53 cm. This is the horizontal repeat of the artwork.
The roll length is 10m, so your vertical artwork repeat has no other limitations than looking good on a wall.
Repeats can be: straight matches, offset matches (half drop) or mirrors. (half drop) or mirrors.

For initial artwork submission apply one tile of the repeat:
Width 1560px
Length: one vertical repeat of your design Format: PNG or JPG
72 dpi


Given this brief, I want to create something that is unique and stands out from other existing wallpapers. My initial thoughts were to create something vibrant and floral, as I tend to look at work with feminine elements which are aesthetically pleasing, however floral repeat patterns are very common within the wallpaper spectrum as there are so many variations of floral style wallpapers. Therefore I need to do some research and look into alternative wallpaper designs, and something that stands out instead of just looking like a pretty floral background. The brief has no specific regulations as to what needs to be produced, therefore I can create something that reflects me as an individual making the project personal to me and my interests. 

Research

Baines and Fricker
I really like this quirky style wallpaper that this design duo creates, I feel like this is the type of design that would fit the briefs target market. The funky illustrative repeat patterns are simple yet innovative, the designs suggest something that is not just to cover the wall, however they have the ability to be an individual piece of art, whether it is on the wall or not. These designs are worth keeping, and this is the ethos behind the designers creations. 







On pinterest I found some interesting geometric inspired repeat patterns, for this brief I want to create something more angular for my repeat pattern, to try and steer away from my usual hand rendered approach to design. 




With the brief requiring any design of your choice, I wanted to experiment with something playful, combined with a geometric angular effect. The work of Alison Kunath illustrates a soft watercolour background, contrasting with the angular geometric image of the animals.





Stpehyds creates a similar aesthetic with her work, combining watercolour wash with angular shapes. 



I definitely want to experiment with the idea of creating a geometric repeat made from animals, or maybe an animal that has been created purely from angular shapes and a linear design. 





No comments:

Post a Comment