Friday 31 October 2014

Initial ideas and scamps

Now I have gathered my research, and researched into basic web design, scamps, and canons I now need to start my initial sketches to then develop into more detailed scamps. At this point I am still not one hundred percent certain of the exact content which will go on each web page, therefore these initial thumbnails and scamps are a basic idea of how the content could be presented on the page, taking into consideration images and body copy.

The images below show my initial thumbnails. After researching existing websites, I have decided that mine will not be over cluttered as I feel the more effective websites have less going on, which makes it visually pleasing. 




From the thumbnails, I have started to draw out some more detailed scamps illustrating possible layout solutions. 

This layout shows a simple design, I have used the De Graaf canon we learned in the studio session to create the content area. On this, the content will be centralised all the way down the web page, with negative space either side of the images and body copy. The heading for the specific page will be placed in the left blank section at the top therefore it is prominent on the page and is not mixed in with the content. 



This scamp below is similar however I have not used a De Graaf canon on the page, and the content is aligned to the right leaving negative space on the left hand side but not the right. I definitely want to include negative space on my web pages as it is a fundamental parameter in web design. The web designs have to be tailored so that the end user has the easiest experience reading the content. If a design is too cluttered then it becomes hard to tackle, and the design does not provide a clean, readable experience. The negative space declutters the design of a page and helps draw the users focus to the content on the page.


This design below also has a similar design, using the negative space as part of the page design enables the viewer to focus on the content which is clearly centralised. I have included the navigation bar in the top left corner of the page, and the heading of the page in the centre at the top before the content is listed. 


This scamp uses the De Graaf canon for the container again. I feel like this layout is too cluttered to be developed into a web page, after research into existing web pages and how they are designed, I want to keep the layout of mine rather simple yet consistent throughout each page. Not necessarily exactly the same design on each web page, but I want the website to flow therefore consistency will be an important factor to consider. 


No comments:

Post a Comment