Friday 10 October 2014

Leaflet Development

Now that I am clear on the layout of my design, I need to start mocking this up digitally so I can get an idea of how the final will look. I am certain that I want to use a serif font, for both bodycopy and headings. I feel that a serif font is more elegant and will suit the style of work that I want to produce for my leaflet. When searching on behance, I came across some publication designs that were the main inspiration behind using a floral composition within my work. The research is relevant to my own practice as I find myself hand drawing a lot of the time, especially anything to do with floral design. I don't necessarily use this within my graphic design work, it is just something I enjoy doing alongside of this, which is why I decided to include this element within this project as the project is a brief relating to my own practice and this is something I enjoy doing. 

These designs I find are really nice as the loose style of pen drawing combined with the watercolour creates an elegant design. This work is the main inspiration for my design, I intend to create nice loose floral drawing, and I also may experiment with colour but I quite like the idea of sticking to maybe just a pen drawing so it doesn't distract the viewers attention from the main focal point, the information. 




I started by drawing freehand some floral compositions, one with colour and the rest with pen.


I like the loose style of this floral drawing, however I am not keen on the colours, I intend to have a background colour for my poster, which suggests that certain colours will clash. I think I will stick to black pen drawing so that it doesn't take any attention away from the information. 




All of these loose compositions are quite nice, however I am still not happy with them to use for my final. To get an idea of what my leaflet may look like, I will mock a version up on indesign using the content I have and one of these sketches.



This is how I will repeat the drawing on the page, with the four column grid therefore the text fits in the centre and the floral illustration. This is a similar colour which I want to use for the background, a simple pastel colour. The main detail will probably be within the title 'my design process'  therefore I think a limited colour palette for the inside will be more complimentary. 

Mock up of final:


This mock up gives me a reasonably good idea of how my leaflet will look and what changes need to be made. I will definitely develop the drawings as I am not happy with how they look once placed on my indesign file, there needs to be a stronger composition and I am not happy with the overall style of drawing, maybe the flowers need to be larger, and not as obvious, I can create a looser drawing where it isn't as obvious that the drawings are flowers and create something slightly more abstract. The font used 'Times New Roman' will not be the final font, I used this to get an idea of how the serif would look, and how the body copy worked within the four column grid. I think the point size of the body copy needs to be smaller. 

I now know what needs to be changed for the inside of the leaflet, I also need to consider what it will look like once folded. I want to create another two hand rendered elements on my design, on the very front when the leaflet is compact, and also when you open it the first time before the poster is exposed. 

When the leaflet is fully closed, this is how the fold will look. I want to add something very simple on the front which compliments the design inside, therefore I will hand draw some flowers from the centre, this mock up shows how they may look, the leaflet will also need a small sticker where my finger is placed in order to keep the leaflet closed before it is unfolded.


When the leaflet is opened for the first time, there is a blank square, which will be the perfect place to include the title 'my design process.' Because there is a hand rendered element to my design, I feel it will be appropriate to hand draw my letterforms and also hand draw the floral design on the very front as shown above. 

This shows where I will want my type to go, centralised within that small square. This is just a sketched mock up of how it could look, I will definitely hand render these letters based on the font times new roman, I also want to include the floral design within the letterforms if possible. This sketch doesn't show this idea very well, however I may use watercolour and define the letters in fine liner so there is a nice contrast between the colour and pen. 


When the leaflet is opened up completely, this is what the back of it will look like.




No comments:

Post a Comment